- The questions you ask the employer exhibit your values.
- The interview begins when you enter the building. Be mindful of your words, you might be on the elevator with the boss.
- Bring a small toiletry bag and place it in your briefcase.
- Turn all of your electronic devices off. Putting it on vibrate is just as loud as a ringer.
- Cologne/perfume should be kept to a minimum or not used. You run a risk if they don’t like the smell.
- On the day before or of your interview do not change your diet. Just trust me on this one.
- You should check your breath before the interview. There is nothing worse than breathing a dragon.
- Clothes that you wear to the club are typically not okay for a professional interview.
- Do not ask about compensation and benefits first. Even if it is the first thing on your mind.
PHONE INTERVIEW TIPS
- Do not use a cell phone.
- Silence all devices that may generate a sound.
- Dress nicely as if face-to-face, you will perform better.
- Sit in one place, moving around often creates anxiety.
- Do not type on a computer or surf the web while interviewing.
- Put a sign on your door so that you are not disturbed.
ON CAMPUS INTERVIEW TIPS
- Know their procedures for travel and lodging expenses.
- It’s okay to put in a professional request; such as meeting with students of color.
- Be well rested and well groomed, interviews are all day, some are two days
- Know your schedule and know your interviewers in advance, ask if you have not received either.
- Get familiar with the student culture; pick up a student newspaper or sit in common area