Tips for the Newby
Tips for the New Professional
- Find a mentor(s).
- Someone to advise, guide, and help you navigate obstacles and avoid mistakes is critical. This will save you time and allow you to focus on skill and knowledge building.
- Create a professional development plan.
- With your mentor create a reasonable plan that helps meet your professional development and career goals. Reassess as often as needed.
- Develop the correct balance for yourself otherwise you will burnout.
- Hobbies and safe outlets for fun help alleviate stress.
- Be excellent where you are.
- As young professionals we often look past our current positions. This can be a mistake. Doing well in your current position validates you for your next position.
- Become a life-long learner.
- Read articles/books, attend conferences, take classes, or participate in workshops to stay current and aware of the latest student affairs knowledge and “best practices”.
The student affairs field is a large, yet tight-knit community. Good or bad, your future employer can attain information about you rather easily.